July 30, 2012

Ravellenics update

TeamHOC



The Ravellenic Games began on Friday. First up for me is the Handspun Heptathalon for Team Hopelessly Overcommitted. I'm about halfway through spinning the Shetland bump in the Forecast colorway. See:

Forecast in progress


It's pretty. I was going to make a standard 2ply, but after I started spinning I decided to chain/Navajo ply it. I'm spinning it semi-worsted and it's going smoothly. I've spun Shetland before from pre-washed fleece I've hand processed, and while they both spin easily, this commercially processed fiber feels much different. Not bad different, just different. Now I realize there are textural differences between fleece and even within a single fleece, but the difference here is enough to make me wonder whether this really is 100% Shetland. This feels more like a Polwarth to me.

Regardless, I expect I'll be finished spinning by tomorrow night, and finished plying by Thursday night. That's the plan at least.

Tomorrow I will start knitting my projects for Team Diagon Alley Marauders.

No comments: