February 13, 2013

2013 FO's: January Part 2

  Off My Spindles/Wheel:

I did a lot of spinning during January, but the only "finished" items were a few samples from my Itty Bitty Bits project.  Eventually, these will be knit up as hexipuffs or blanket/afghan squares or something similar, so I'm trying to keep them as consistent as I can by spinning worsted/semi-worsted and Navajo/chain plying.  

Clockwise from left:

“Blue Moon” BFL/silk fiber, blue, green & purple, Spindle spun and chain/Navajo plied, 29yds 3ply, 87yds Singles.

Unlabeled fiber, wine, Spindle spun and chain plied,  19yds 3ply, 57yds singles.

“Market Salad” All For Love of Yarn, BFL, spindle spun and chain plied, 10yds 3ply, 30yds singles.

Unlabeled fiber, yellow/gold/green/wine/pink, Spindle spun and chain plied, 79yds 3ply, 237yds singles.

  Jan13 IBBits  

February 1, 2013

2013 FOs: January Part 1

  Off My Needles/Hooks:

The Blue Yoke Sweater is done! I'm quite surprised that I used only about five and a half balls of Filature Lanarota Chaco or about a little over 1100 yards.  

Blue sweater finished

I was only halfway through the yoke when I'd stopped working on this in 2006, and seriously, I have no idea what my problem was with finishing it. The yoke decreases were following the modified EPS percentages and worked like a charm. And I got the collar right this time by adding an inch worth of short rows to the back collar ribbing. Oh, and I also changed to a size US5 (3.75mm) needle for the last round and for the bindoff round of the collar. Made it much neater looking. I think the next time I make a yoke sweater I will decrease an extra eight stitches (rather than the four I did here) after the final yoke decrease round. But other than that I'm quite pleased how this turned out.

Blue sweater

BBS or Big Black Socks  were made for the Socks for Soldiers group, and I'm ashamed to say started almost three years ago.  These are "Team Knit" socks, with the legs knit on a CSM (Circular Sock Machine) then forwarded to me to add the feet.  That's right.  All I had to do was add the feet and it took me this long to do it.  I get fifty lashes with a wet skein for that. Feet were knit using US0 (2.0mm) and US1 (2.25mm) needles.    


 Mom's Mitts were started on Jan 13th using some unlabeled blue-toned mystery yarn and size US5 (3.75mm) needles. Mom went into the hospital on the 19th for pneumonia, and I finished them on Jan 21st while sitting at her bedside. It is just a vanilla afterthought thumb mitt with ribbing at the cuff and seed stitch at the fingers. They are about 10.5 inches long.  

Moms mitts finished
  The 40lb Stashdown Goal (in grams):  18,144;  Grams Used: 829;  Left to Go: 17,315