June 19, 2014
Dashing Through the FOs
The finished May Day project - socks knit in Miss Bab's Cosmic yarn in Vlad colorway - was started March 20th and finished May 5th. The stitch pattern is from Simple SKYP Socks by Adrienne Ku and the heel is from Basic Strong Heel Socks by Gerdine Crawford-Strong.
STASH DASH - PART 1:
Stash Dash, sponsored by The Knit Girllls, began on May 23rd and runs through August 7th. This year our goal is 5k of yarn (5,468 yards).
Over these first few weeks I finished:
1) The second bump of Annunaki at Tiaman colorway from Crown Mountain Farms. I started spinning this fiber January 1st-ish and finished May 24th. All singles were spindle spun and chain plied on either spindle or wheel (depending on whether I was home or on vacation). Some of this fiber was used to teach spindle spinning, which is why my 394 yards weighs only 3.7 ounces. Total singles yardage is 1,182, and the average wpi is 16.
2) The white Oxford/Border Leicester cross fleece (10.1 oz raw, 8.5 washed) was hand combed then run through my drum carder, and spindle spun semi-woolen for a traditional 3ply yarn that was plied on either spindle or wheel from plying balls. I got 306 yards (164 grams) of 3ply DK weight from 918 yards of singles.
3) Another leisure hat for the Socks For Soldiers group (168 yds) from leftover sock yarn. Started May 8th, finished June .
4) Spun Cloudlover's merino/cashmere/silk blend in the Mother of Dragons colorway. This four ounce bump gave me approximately 350 yards (underestimated - twist hasn't been set yet - probably higher) of yarn with an average wpi of 15. It was wheel spun semi-worsted and chain plied. Start/Finish June 6-19.
5) a small, 17 yd woven rectangle made on a mini loom I got to make washcloths with some old yarn that I don't like knitting or crocheting with. Not too bad for a first try but I definitely need practice.
Brought To Me By: Crafting accomplished with the following audio/video accompaniment:
Audiobooks: Skinwalker by Faith Hunter; The Tale of Briar Bank by Susan Wittig Albert; These Old Shades by Georgette Heyer; The Black Echo by Michael Connelly;
DVDs etc: Murder She Wrote; Veronica Mars Movie; The Big Bang Theory;
Pod/VideoCasts: The Knit Girllls; Two Tangled Skeins; The Knit Wits; Twinset Designs;