Ohio Star Pillowcover
Ravelry Project Page
This UFO (UnFinished Object) dates back to around 2006 when I picked up a couple of quilting magazines with an abundance of block schematics. Now, I'm not a quilter, although I do love looking at them, especially the more classic designs. I can appreciate all the work that goes in them. Maybe someday I'll try it, but for now I'm more interested in translating the quilt block designs into knitting designs. And these two magazines had a number of block designs that readily translated. My original intention was to make a sampler afghan from different block patterns, but opted to start smaller with a pillow cover.
I picked the Ohio Star pattern because it consisted of squares and triangles I could easily duplicate in knitted fabric. The only problem I encountered was in seaming the blocks together. For some reason I made the join a randomly striped two-and-a-half inch saddle shoulder seam. I say it was a problem because I seamed a little more than two sides and then stopped.
After six years I can only guess that either I was bored (understandable) or unhappy with what I was doing. Or both. Probably both.
I'm certainly unhappy with how the striping looks. I think it detracts from the overall block pattern and is distracting.
So as I previously posted, I ripped it all out and went with a simple single color (green) applied I-cord seam. This seam went smoothly and quickly and I'm very pleased with the results. For a closure I went with a simple I-cord lacing for which i put in I-cord 'buttonholes' approximately every two inches. The Pillowcover measures approximately eighteen inches square. The yarn is Lana Gatto California DK 100% cotton.
Now to find the pillow I made it for...
Brought To Me By:
DVDs etc: Downton Abbey S2; Doctor Who S6; Vampire Diaries S1;
Pod/VideoCasts: Round The Twist; the Knit Girllls; Electric Sheep; Knitmore Girls;