March 3, 2012

Finished Objects Part II

Off my Spindles:


The "peach stuff" is done. Actually, it's the "Shadows on the Wall" colorway from Crown Mountain Farms in Polworth. An 8oz bump gave me 567 yards of chain ply (3ply) yarn in varying colors of peach, pink, blush, and a wee bit of greenish. Not really my kind of colors, but it was an easy spin. Total singles yardage spun this year: 1,398 (I had spun and plied a 101 yard skein last year that I'm not counting in this year's ten mile goal.)


Shadows...Wall color closeup

The "Valley Stream" colorway that I started spinning last year is finished, finally, thank the fiber gods! This was four ounces of hand painted organic merino. The colors were beautiful, but the fiber was hell to work with. I've never had to work with such matted fiber before; it was almost felted. I eventually cut (yes, with a scissor) the color sections apart and ran them through my hand combs, and the comb waste through my hand carders. I chain plied and ended up with 284 yards of DK weight yarn. (429 yards singles spun this year.)


Valley Stream handspun

Also finished in February is the "purple stuff", actually, it's variants of purple through rose but it seemed mostly purple when I was spinning it. In stark contrast to the Valley Stream fiber, this was an absolute joy to spin. Unfortunately, I lost the tag so I don't know who hand dyed the fiber or what fiber it is (my guess is BFL). My only problem with this yarn is in my plying - the last two skeins are nowhere near balanced, even after soaking, snapping and thwacking (right skein in pic). I will have to try taking out some plying twist from the smaller skein, see if that works. Probably a good idea to use my Navajo spindle for this.....


Mystery yarn the purple stuff


2012 Yardage Goal: 17,600 Total to Date: 3,360

No comments: